Principles by which the Tropical Science Center (TSC) acts:
- Pride in doing things well: excellence, scientific rigor, making the difference in our work.
- Sharing: transparency and democratic dissemination of information and knowledge.
- Teamwork: purpose, commitment, communication, involvement, process, confidence.
- Intentioned: anticipation, initiative, proactivity, innovation, creativity
- Belligerence toward corruption: demand justifications, denunciation
- Ethics: loyalty, honesty, transparency
- Ideological neutrality.
- Preaching by example: incorporate the mission, vision and principles in daily work.
Our Commitment with the Environment
The lodge as part of this institution strives to provide services and recreational activities to resident and foreign visitors that favor the conservation of the natural resources and, at the same time, the process of socio-economic development of the surrounding communities, and, above all, to better the management of these resources be they water, energy and what we utilize and consume.
In 2008, La Casona Lodge took its first steps in its enrollment in the Certification program for Sustainable Tourism – CST, and, in March of 2009, was evaluated obtaining a level three qualification. Through this program, the Monteverde Cloud Forest Biological Preserve by its Lodge has taken on a great commitment with sustainability and, through teamwork, is at present uniting efforts in order to obtain the maximum qualification.
What is CST (Certification for Sustainable Tourism)
This is an incentive for private tourism businesses in environmental matters, operational efficiency and social projection. This program is an excellent tool in promoting sustainable development in Costa Rica; it is voluntary, directed to all sectors and is non-profit. The program is low-cost and based on strictly technical principals.
The businesses that have the certification are characterized and distinguished by being businesses that avoid damaging and contaminating emissions, carry out management and natural risk activities, manage the waste produced and have programs for saving water and electricity. They invite the public to get to know the natural richness of the country and urge them to care for and to protect these resources, observe the standards established by the organization, employ and capacitate the members of the communities where they operate and they promote the traditions and customs of the country.
Commitment with CST
In actuality, new practices in sustainability are being implemented in order to carry out the fundamental objectives of the program, this being to convert the concept of sustainability in a real and necessary practice.
The categorization of the businesses that participate in the CST program is carried out through a categorization manual designed by the Instituto Costarricense de Turismo-ICT (Costa Rican Institute of Tourism) exclusively for this purpose. The levels to be obtained are called levels of sustainability and are established on a scale of 0 to 5 and each level indicates the relative position of the business concerning sustainability. Level 1 indicates that the business has taken the first step and the following levels correspond to progressively advanced states culminating in level 5. The levels are represented by a logotype in the form of a leaf-face.
The organization is guided by and obeys the following legislation:
- Organic Law of Environment
- Forestry Law/li>
- Commercialization of Archeological Patrimony
- Law of Sexual Harassment
- Law against the Sexual Exploitation of Boys, Girls and Adolescents
- Law against the Consumption of Illegal Substances
- Law of Equal Opportunity
Policies of Sustainability that characterizes the organization
- We do not maintain animals in captivity
- We use biodegradable products in the kitchen, laundry-room and cosmetics
- We use water-heaters in order to satisfy an important percentage of the needs of the Lodge
- We treat the black and gray waters by means of water-treatment plants
- We use microorganisms in black and gray waters to accelerate their decomposition
- More than 80% of our light bulbs are of low electrical consumption
- More than 80% of the toilets are of low water consumption
- The showers and spigots are of low water consumption/li>
- We have a Management Plan of Liquid and Solid Waste